Learning and Teaching in the 21st century (2 ECTS)
This course is organized in 5 modules.
In the first module we will get acquainted with the concept of new technologies in education and discuss their impact on teaching and learning. We will introduce the concept of the 21st century learning environments and personal learning environments (PLEs). Finally, we will learn about the 21st century skills and computational thinking.
In the second module, we will focus on the 21st century classrooms. We will introduce the following concepts: flipped classroom, connected classroom, and AR-enhanced classroom. We will also learn about gamification of learning and introduce the concept of digital badges.
In the third module, we will learn about the lifelong learning principes and learn about different types of MOOCs. We will also discuss the concept of mobile learning.
In the fourth module, we will learn how we can publish and re-use educational materials. We will learn about open data, open educational resources and creative commons. We will also introduce the concept of cloud computing.
In our last module, we will give an overview of new devices and technologies in classrooms, such as smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, smartboards. We will also discuss about the use of wearables in education, as well as Web 2.0 tools and the impact of social networks on teaching and learning.
Goals and competences to achieve:
- discuss the technological changes over the last decade and its influence on our society and our pupils.
- describe different learning contexts
- apply computational thinking principles in solving everyday assignments
- design out own flipped classroom activities
- gamify our lessons
- design and implement AR-enhanced educational materials
- discuss about the importance of the life-long learning
- describe/participate in a MOOC
- discuss the concept of m-learning
- create creative commons educational materials
- evaluate existing open educational materials
- implement cloud-based services in your classroom
- design and implement your own personal learning environment
- discuss the use of smartphones and tablets in education
- explore the use of QR codes in education
- discuss the use of social networking platforms in education
Requirements and Notes: -
Information on exams: -
Link to online course: